We have been working with the Sioux City Public Museum to work out a brief history of the five previous breweries in Sioux City. We discovered some interesting stuff!
Sioux City has a long history of participating in one of man’s ancient traditions; brewing beer. In the 1860s, Rudolph Selzer opened the first brewery in Sioux City, followed by Sioux City Brewery, which, in the 1870s, was one of the largest breweries in Iowa! In addition to beer, Sioux City Brewery produced Sasparilla, champagne cider, and other sodas. Despite prohibition in Iowa, Sioux City Brewery continued to brew beer until they were shut down in 1887. With beer flowing again in the 1890s, Sioux City Brewing was in business, followed by Interstate Brewing on Hamilton Boulevard. Both were shut down in 1916 when Iowa went dry, again. With prohibition ending, 1933 brought the re-opening of Sioux City Brewing Company. They produced the famous light and smooth Heidel-Brau Beer until 1958. More recently, the popular 4th Street Brewing Co. sold pub food and great beer until closing in 2002 after about 4 years of operation. Now, Jackson Street Brewing has opened its doors and Sioux City once again has a brewery. Stop in today to try a flight or a pint at 607 5th Street.